Saturday, December 26, 2009

An eventful Christmas it was!

We've had quite the last 3 days. Unless you're buried under a blanket, you're probably well aware that the upper midwest got blasted with snow. Lots and lots of snow!!

Let's start at Tuesday. Mike came home from work a little early as we were planning on opening our gifts that night. Ideally I do not like to open presents on December 22nd, but we were traveling over the holiday and decided to open them before we hit the road.

Santa delivered this year. Lacey got way to many things. The kitchen and all of its accessories (which were a lot...), families and furniture sets for her Calico Critters doll house, an activity table with crayons, chalk, colored pencils, and water colors, movies, clothes, toys. You get the idea. (I've already sworn that next year she is getting less). Miles was given cars, trucks, books, clothes etc. The activity table is technically for both of them but he doesn't get to use it quite yet.

I am now the proud new owner of a new down North Face jacket, an iphone (which I had NO idea about), hats, gloves, slippers, books, and socks. Jacket, hat, gloves. Do you know what I really needed? I've been miserable the last month because I haven't had a decent thing to wear in the cold! Mike was loaded up with tools from my parents, which is always appreciated, and loads and loads of running attire and new shoes.

So we headed out on the 23rd just as the snow was starting to fall. Ever since the big accident of 2008, during our move to Washington, driving in snow has made Mike and I nervous. The snow wasn't supposed to start until 8 pm though so thankfully we made it out of the city, before traffic, and home to Fargo before anything hit. It started snowing about 15 minutes after we got home. My brother, sister in law, and niece came over that evening. My niece had a cold.

And so on the morning of the 24th, Lacey woke up with a monster cold. We also woke up to 3-4 inches, which in ND/MN is nothing at all. We had a nice Christmas eve and wondered if the lightly falling snow would ever really pick up like they were predicting.

It Did.

We woke up Christmas morning to drifts higher than my 2 year old. I should probably put in here that I don't like snow. I don't mind 2 inches of snow. I do mind 12 inches of snow.
And it was still snowing. My dad's snow plow was used twice that day and my poor brother had to go out and plow (something he does on the side) at 3 a.m. to start clearing roads/parking lots.

Meanwhile we were homebound. Drank coffee and played games, and ate sugar. And it kept snowing.

Mike had to work today (the 26th), so we had to make it back somehow. Putting the kids in the car when it is a) still snowing; b) still dark; and c) closed interstates throughout the state of ND; make us a little nervous. We were headed into MN so the interstate was open, but we didn't see one single car until over an hour into our trip. It was weird. The roads weren't good, but they were drivable. We went pretty slow, but the sick kids did pretty well, probably because they were sick and just wanted to sleep. We got home late but made it safe and sound. Now, I just wish that this snow would melt, but heading into January and February I'm not holding my breath.

All in all we had over 18 inches of snow! Did you know they will fine you $500 if you don't have your sidewalks cleared within 24 hours of the end of the snowfall? I thought that was funny, and certainly practical.

Now, I am ready for a warm vacation, but work and school will have to do.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Ditto too many presents, ditto next year less presents!

Come visit, it's 50 here today!