Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vanity Sizing

Did you know that today's size 8 is the size of a 14 in the 1970's.

You maybe didn't want to know that. But some of us [me], cannot find clothes to fit. Mike didn't believe me until I tried on a Size 0 work pants from Limited and it was seriously LAUGHABLE. I looked completely ridiculous. My options include nothing outside of high end designer jeans/dress pants that are $220, and while $220 jeans look super cute and I am positive I would like them, I can think of a million other things to spend the money on.

Gap Kids always has jeans...with elastic adjustable waists...eww + embarrassing.

I am actually starting to wonder if shoe designers are also "vanity sizing." I used to wear a 6.5-7, then a 6, and now comfortably a 5.5. It's the strangest thing. Also, Mike, my husband, weighed 155 when we met 6 years ago. At that time he wore a 33"-34" waist. Today? He still weighs in at 155 and is down to a 30" waist.

Anyway...back to my point. Today I was at GAP and they were having amazing sales on jeans. GAP does make Size 00, which is still a bit large, but manageable (please, please, please shrink a bit...what can I say, I have no hips). So I bought 4 pairs of jeans for $35 (okay so wearing 00 has its advantages, like they always have your size). They were originally $70 each, so I was pumped.

Plus I got a pair of city ballet flats for $4.99...originally $40.

$320 of stuff for $39.98. So get yourself down to GAP and get some deals.

On a side note, in Minnesota we seriously wear long-sleeves for 9 months out of the year...all year if you work in an air conditioned office. I am desperately waiting for "fall" stuff to come out so I can buy some new work clothes!!

1 comment:

Bri said...

If it helps, I found an amazing seamstress! She's very affordable! Her name is Nassrin's Quality Sewing cell# 651.274.2094 she's right off W. 76th St. in Richfield.
Other than that... I think you should know that I am a HUGE fan of vanity sizing & I think you should be able to solve the mystery of Mike's pant size by getting out a tape measure & measuring his waist. That's what's so nice about Mens sizing. It's LOGICAL!