Thursday, December 4, 2008

when it rains it pours

you know that old saying 'when it rains it pours?' well that pretty much sums up the last 4 weeks of my life. don't worry, i am not going to go into all the details and complain about the last 4 weeks, who wants that? I just hope it ends soon.

anyway, we've had a whirlwind of a week since i've posted last. One Wednesday the 26th, we made the 12 hour trek to Chico, CA to visit mike's brother, his wife, and their 2 little boys. A 12 hour car ride + a young toddler = pure disaster. Well, it really wasn't that bad, but I can't go so far as to say it was fun either. Nope, no fun at all.

We had a good couple of days in California, the weather was perfect. Lacey did medium, nothing like sleeping in a pack-n-play for a couple of nights in a row. Plus she is used to our nice calm quiet house. That is not the case with a 3 year old and a sick 16 month old...

Mike was running the seattle marathon on sunday so we had to somehow make it back earlier in the day on saturday in order for him to go to the race expo and pick up his registration packet. Plus we wanted to have time to eat a good dinner and wanted to make sure lacey would go to sleep that night. So rather than driving all day Saturday, we decided to leave Friday night and drive through the night. I'm not sure what possessed me to do this.

We left Chico, Friday night around 7:30. The first 3 hours went great. Mike and I were just chatting away, Lacey was snoozing in the backseat, and we pretty much gave ourselves the 'parents of the year' award for our perfect plan. But all good things must come to an end...lacey woke up around 10:30 crying of course. She stopped crying but then started staring off into space (poor thing). Mike and I were running out of subjects to talk about, we were in thick fog in the mountains (I was having flashbacks to our accident on the way out here), and we still had 3 hours to go until we stopped for gas.

We finally made it to Eugene, OR around 2:15 am, which was our halfway point. At that point we both felt like death. We filled up with gas (or should I say they filled us up, since it is illegal to pump your own gas in OR...did you know that?). Went to the bathroom, changed diapers since lacey was wide awake and had been since 10:30, mike bought 5 hour energy and we headed back out. Mike was doing well, I was fading fast, but since mike falls asleep at the wheel I had no choice but to stay awake. It was a terribly long night. We pulled into our parking garage at 6:58 am, right as Lacey woke up (perfect huh?), got in, took showers, ate breakfast, put Lacey down for a nap and crashed for a couple of hours. Then went to pick up the registration stuff, ate dinner and were all 3 in bed, sound asleep by 7:00 pm.

Marathon day, started off well. We got downtown, got good parking for free and walked to the starting line. Race started with no issues. I went to find a starbucks and walked and walked and walked for what seemed like miles before I found one (ummm, this is seattle it shouldn't be that hard). I was so tired, and I swear had I been 38 weeks rather than 28 weeks I would have gone into labor (I'll remember that...). Then I met up with my friend Tanya who lives across the puget sound, we hung out and tried to entertain lacey as best we could. I expected mike to come in around the 2 hour 50 minute mark, give or take 5 minutes. When he wasn't there by the 3 hour mark, I got a bit worried. He came limping in at 3 hours and 3 minutes (so not terrible), with one blood soaked shoe and one busted up shin (I forgot to mention he got hit in the shin with a baseball while in Cali, but we didn't think it was a big deal). We came home and he was stiff, of course, but we didn't think too much of anything. Unfortunately, Lacey was running a fever at this point as well.

Monday morning mike calls me from work telling me that his entire shin in swollen and bright red and he can't walk on it. So he took some sick time and came home. It looked terrible. Lacey was also running a fever and refusing to eat anything so I had my hands full. After some rest, ice, and pain meds mike was feeling better. I didn't know what was up with lacey and was out of motrin. Mike decided to take Tuesday off as well, which was nice because lacey was still sick and hadn't eaten more than a few bites a day for 3 days. I finally got my butt to the store and bought her some motrin and then she started to act more herself.

Mike is back at work, although still sore. Lacey is still bouncing back and forth between feeling good and feeling sick. And I am just here, hanging out, hoping I don't catch anything and actually wishing it was a bit colder so that it would feel more like December.

No comments: