Thursday, February 11, 2010

the realitiy of it all.

I get it all the time. You have two kids, and your in school full time, and you work part-time. You must be so busy!

Duh. But lets be honest. First, we are all busy. Secondly, I am barely hanging on! I dream abut quitting the job every.single.day., I would adore a maid and a nanny, and I have serious meltdowns over having to study again, so before another person starts acting like I have everything all together (which I don't), I thought I'd share some tips that help me get everything done.

First. I try to use every minute of every day wisely. I actually slot out time to check blogs or facebook. Each morning I wake up between 5:30-6:00 am to get some study time in before the kids wake up. I have found this to be extremely useful because if I can get something done first thing in the morning, then I am more relaxed the rest of the day. I've also found that getting up, getting coffee in me, and developing an idea about what we are going to try to accomplish during the day and what I am going to make the kids for breakfast, does wonders. Everything just flows better.

Secondly, I have found that it is extremely useful to talk about why you are doing what you are doing with the people close to you. Don't just assume they know. My husband needs to know what my goals are for school or for fitness or cooking or whatever. If I am leaving everyday when he gets home from work to go study, it is a whole lot easier for him to swallow when he knows my ultimate goals and the weight each exam and each class carries. I don't know where I would be without that support. I mean he is the one who wants me to apply to grad school after all, so he must be okay with this studying thing...

Three. Cut out some things!! I try to get out to some sort of social event with the kids at least 2 mornings a week. However, social activities for Mike and I?? Hmmm, we've had to cut a lot of them out. Don't get me wrong, I know its very important to get out of the house and be with other adults, and we do (Small Group starting February 23rd)! But we also realize that we need time together as a family and as a couple and that comes first. It's okay to tell people no, and stay home during those precious "I have nothing pressing" moments.

So there you have a few things that I've found helpful in my life. Maybe you'll find them helpful as well, maybe not. Either way my allotted blogging/facebook/browsing the internet time is up so I am off to study!

No comments: