Tuesday, July 13, 2010

sleepy

Last night at 2:56 a.m. I hear my little girl start crying. Generally when she cries out in the middle of the night she can't find her blanket, or she is sleeping with a book that poked her in the head or something along those lines. I go into her room, tend to her, and she is telling me to leave because she is sleeping. Last night she cried, I went in, left, and then still heard her whimpering. This was odd. I was so tired though, I just wanted to sleep.

But then I decided to actually be a mother and get out of bed and see what she needs.

So I went into her room and she was cuddling with me. Right then the choice to buy a full size bed was completely confirmed. She wanted me to sing to her. All very sweet right? It was. Then she tells me her ear hurts.

Blech. Those dumb ears! So, since I've learned from past experiences that tylenol does nothing for her ear pain I go straight for the motrin. And then and there I had a battle with the motrin bottle at 3:00 in the morning. I could not get the dumb thing open! I swear my hand was about to fall off, I am stumbling around in the dark, she is crying, and I am desperately praying I don't hear Miles says "mommy?"

Finally get the bottle opened, and meds dosed. Of course I can't leave her room without screams. So I sit there waiting for her to fall asleep. I am slightly annoyed that she has a summer cold and I don't make her blow her nose to drain her sinuses more often, vowing to not let her drink out of a sippy cup while laying down etc. Then there is a part of me that thinks she looks so peaceful, then there is the third part of me that is having flashbacks to newborn baby days when you are just praying and wishing that your baby will go to sleep because its 2 in the morning and they are wide awake. Man I don't miss that.

And then I realize (again) that there are about 5 million things that no one tells you about being a mother. Like for example, after being up for an hour in the middle of the night with your toddler, your husband has no idea what just happened, he got a full nights sleep. :)

No comments: