Sunday, November 21, 2010

An uphill battle

Do you ever feel like you can work, and work, and then work some more and still, with all that work, you are barely getting ahead?

I had this slap in the face last week one night. I was in bed, trying to fall asleep, when I started adding up all of the expenses coming up in the next 12 months. Don't ever do this, it is not a good idea!

Needless to say I got up and out of bed because knowing me I would be dreaming about this all night, so I needed a calculator and some paper. Here was my breakdown...

Daycare: $1200 a month x 10 months = $12000
CPA Exam Registration and Fees= $1,000
CPA Exam Review Course $1500-$4000) $2200
Tuition @ School (job will be for credit) $2000

This doesn't include our daycare deposit, the purchase of 2 new carseats, and Christmas shopping.

Here's the deal with the huge daycare bill....I'll be working from January until April 15th, and then studying FULL TIME (yes, 40-50 hours per week) for the CPA exams. I'll start back at the office in October. I have to study this way, I don't have a choice. Each exam suggests you put in 100-120 hours of study time. There are 4 exams, so this will take me all summer. I lie, I do have a choice, I could lose my daycare spot, and stay home with the kids, and then try to study for the exams when I start work back up in October-- after work, all weekend, etc. And people do this, but given the luxury of not having to do this is equivalent of someone asking you if you want a new car...for free...and they'd pay the taxes.

Not joking.

We'll need $17,000, I am sure we will get it, we just won't have much fun with our 2 incomes until I start back up in October. Because we'll be saving every freaking penny!!

I guess we won't be paying off much debt this year and that just sucks. (But I will look on the bright side, we won't have to go into debt for all of this either, so that is great). We'll get those loans down someday, somehow....

No comments: